Passenger or a participant? Which are you?
Wow what does this actually mean? Passenger or Participant. Its pretty simple. Are you a passenger or a participant in life? Some of us unwittingly are just passengers in life. We do this through no fault of our own. We just don’t control of the important things we should and we end up in jobs we don’t like, relationships that are rather toxic and have moments where we ask ourselves “Is this all my life is going to be?” Other people seem to be participants. Getting what they want in life. Having the “perfect” life. The great relationships, the awesome job, the family, the house, the lifestyle.
The great thing is though that you don’t have to settle for a life less than what you want. Why should you? Don’t let anyone tell you that you cant have the best life possible. It comes down to a couple of things. Firstly you have to recognise the things in your life that don’t match what you want. Secondly look long and hard at ways that you could bring about changes to these situations. Thirdly take a chance and change these situations. What’s the worst thing that could happen? You end up in exactly the same position.
Far too many people just accept their lot in life. I often hear clients telling me they cant change jobs because this is all they can do, they cant go on holidays because they cant afford it, they accept their partners behaviour because that is just them. All I hear are excuses and someone who is a little frightened by what might happen if they try to change their situation. Don’t worry there is a level of comfort in misery. You know the cycle, you know how it will make you feel and you know it won’t go on forever. For some people to change this situation is more frightening than anything else in their lives so they just go along for the ride.
If you’re sick and tired of being a passenger and want to participate in life here are some simple tips that you can adopt today and can begin the change you want to see in your life.
- Start Simple. Don’t go for the grand gesture. Chances are it will seem too insurmountable and you will give up before you get anywhere. If you want to change your job for instance, start by redoing your CV, then begin looking at what roles are available at the moment. Have a quiet chat with your boss. Let them know some of your concerns and see where the conversation goes. Remember to tread carefully here as your boss may not necessarily the same way as you.
- Be patient – real change doesn’t happen overnight. But it will happen.
- Go after what you really want. Do you know what you want? Spend some time thinking about exactly what it is that you want? Funnily enough most people find this very difficult to do. Be honest with yourself. Go for what you REALLY want.
- If you’re really wanting to make some serious changes go find someone who has already done it and see how they did it. You might be able to pick up some hints and tips on what to do and what to avoid.
- Be open to making mistakes. No has ever succeeded at anything the first time around. You’ll make mistakes. Be open to getting back up and dusting yourself off.
- Give it a go. What have you got to lose?
If you want help to start to be a participant in your own health and wellness then you might want to look further into our services we offer our clients. If you want to be a part of a group fitness class or have the singular focus of one on one personal training or if youre not local to us you might want to check out our online personal training. If you want to make some real change you may want to get in contact with me about lifestyle coaching. This is a relatively new area of our business but something I have vast experience in. Read more about my story here and see how I transformed my entire lifestyle.